Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The Service of Reflection and Vision

Reflection and vision really are two sides to the same coin--a coin that many people either do not possess or never handle--that of knowing oneself. In every single role I play--teacher, daughter, friend, and servant of God--I need not only to have this coin in my pocket but also to often take it out and make good use of it. If I never once question my motives or approach in a situation, I may never allow the Holy Spirit to take control and mend my flaws. If I never think ahead to what God may want to accomplish through me, my church, and my family, I may miss a beautiful opportunity for ministry.

Although It’s a Wonderful Life is not a Christian movie, it prompts me to examine my life to see if I am living for God. In this film, Jimmy Stewart’s character wishes that he had never been born, and by getting a glimpse of his world without him, begins to comprehend the extraordinary purpose of his life. If I were not a member of my family, my school district, my community, or my church, how might these places be different? If I can think of no material difference, why am I here? I know God did not place me here so that I could simply live an unexceptional life and then be peacefully ushered into Glory. What has He called me to do right here, right now?

There are some Christians that really stand out to us as being inspirational and strong in the faith. Why might this be? Do they pray more, do they spend more time in His Word, do they share the gospel more, or were they simply born with an extra measure of grace? If we let ourselves get hung up on these questions, we will always look with envy upon some Christians, with contempt upon others, and with confusion upon ourselves. When we are “doing well” we will struggle to give all the glory to God, and when we fail, all the work God has given us to do could be lost in personal defeat.

These thoughts lead me to the Apostle Paul, whose sharp criticism regarding spiritual life both annoys and refreshes me. When he is forced to defend himself on charges of duplicity or laziness, such as in II Corinthians 11 and 12, he strongly vouches for his own conduct and position in Christ’s service, which seems uncomfortable, but is apparently necessary. However, at other moments he calls himself the worst of sinners and speaks vulnerably of his frustrations along the road to sanctification, such as in Romans 7:15,24: “For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do[...] Who will rescue me from this body of death?” I can rejoice with Paul that I know my Savior and Redeemer, and I can also take Paul’s advice when he tells us in Romans 12:3 to “think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.”

This reminds me that sensible reflection walks the middle line between pride and self-deprecation, and opens the door for godly vision into the future. Is it true that “Where there is no vision, the people perish” (Proverbs 29:18)? While we might not physically die from a want of reflection on the past and a vision for God’s future plans, we will certainly experience a kind of soul death. If our faith does not influence the way we meditate on both the past and the future, what kind of impact will our lives make on the world around us, and for what can God use us?

No comments:

Post a Comment