Saturday, February 04, 2012

And we grow, grow, grow!

I graduated from our Bible School over five years ago now, but my youngest sister’s senior year at AFLBS has caused me to reflect on why God wanted me there. My sister has been trying to figure that out for herself, and I have told her I suppose I don’t understand each part of His purpose in my life either. I suppose it is easier for those who left Bible School with spouses or fiances to assume they know why God sent them there, but obviously God’s plan is a whole lot bigger than that. As for me, it was during my two years at AFLBS that I decided on my major and my vocation and made many wonderful friends. But really, why did God want me there?

In many ways, Bible School would seem to contain all the ideal conditions for Christian growth, wouldn’t it? Students are fed from God’s Word daily in classes, given many opportunities for prayer, strongly encouraged to have daily personal devotions, and required to get involved in at least one type of Christian ministry or service. How could any flower help but bud and bloom in that environment? To most Christians, a place like AFLBS is as close to a spiritual greenhouse as one can get. If you are considering Bible School, know that it is a wonderful, blessed place to be, one that God has used to break and build up many.

However, the greenhouse is not the only place that provides growth, especially if your plant is of the human variety. A plant does not just need sunlight and warmth--it needs rain, too, and may even need a chill to produce a blossom. I say this both because God has a different way that each of us will fit into His master plan and because very few of us will be called to stay in an environment like Bible School for our entire lives. God seems to lead most of us through a variety of settings to facilitate growth, from the greenhouse to the desert to the musty basement (or from Bible School to a secular university to a summer working at a factory, in some cases).

Then there are several different types of growth that Jesus has for us as our gardener, and most of them fit under growth by increase and growth by decrease. Growth by increase would be the more conventional, pleasant way to grow, like the tree placidly and prosperously growing in Psalm 1. That kind of growth can certainly happen at Bible School as individuals steadily increase in knowledge, in faith, and in the fruits of the Spirit. Growth by decrease, on the other hand, is that pruning process that Jesus mentions in John 15. It is a loss of something sinful or unproductive to cleanse the vine to make it stronger. This also can happen at Bible School, as members of the community may need to give up some habits, some relationships, and some ministry opportunities in order to become stronger and rely more fully on God.

Are you where you need to be for God to help you grow? Are you in a place where you are able to hear Him, and more to the point, are you making a personal effort to listen to Him? Consider AFLBS as a place to find your greenhouse or desert. Just don’t assume that you know better than your gardener what kind of soil you need!

1 comment: